Saturday, April 7, 2012

Havukal OP Nilgiri (Chado)

Until I tried this tea, I thought you were pretty much assured of a solid, reasonably flavorful black tea when you selected a basic OP, BOP, or FOP from one of the major Nilgiri estates. Sure, I didn't expect much in the way of finesse, dimensionality, or nuance, but flavor and some aroma were a given.

The Havukal estate teas are competitive at auction and their specialty teas are well regarded. So, I thought I'd give this basic orthodox offering a try. This tea has a very meager aroma, and not a particularly Niligi-like one at that. It doesn't fare much better in the flavor department, where it comes across as pleasantly sweet and mild, but with a weak could-be-made-anywhere flavor. Surprisingly, the aftertaste does have a little tang and flavor.

I checked the aroma and look of the dry leaf. While it was not particularly fragrant, it did not smell or look particularly old. In fact, the dry leaf was more fragrant than the brewed tea. Perhaps this was just a weak batch.

Every tea has its place, and this one could be an excellent vehicle for flavored tea, as it does have some structure and a mild sweetness. It could also be used in an iced-tea blend. As a standalone hot tea, I can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment