Monday, April 16, 2012

Burnside Special OP Nilgiri (Chado)

I was immediately smitten when I tried a Burnside tea several years ago. It was the tea that launched my interest in the region. So, I was excited to try this Special OP and see if it measured up to that first love. I'm happy to report that this tea is even better.

The long and wiry dry leaf is quite fragrant and pleasantly fruity. Once wet, it is clear that this tea has received a careful oxidation, as there is a wide range of variegated color to in the leaf, from deep red to a bright, dark olive green. The liquor is a fairly brilliant red-amber, with a pronounced and balanced aroma featuring fruity and floral notes. The tea is medium to medium-light in body, but very flavorful, with a bunch of things going on. There are hints of cherry-like fruitiness, soft floral notes that I associate with green tea, and a nice citrus tang leading into the tasty aftertaste.

This tea is a bit more expensive (4 oz. @ $7.18) than many other Nilgiri OP teas, but it is, in my opinion, well worth it. Aromatic, flavorful, and balanced, this very enjoyable tea is near the top of my list of favorite teas.

No comments:

Post a Comment