Friday, May 11, 2012

Kosabei Estate Kenya TGFOP (Strand Tea Company)

I'm not all that familiar with Kenya black tea. That shouldn't be too surprising, as much of what is produced is non-orthodox tea intended for blending.  As a result, most of the Kenyan tea I've consumed has been in blended and bagged teas, such as Barry's Gold Blend and Williamson's Lifeboat.  It doesn't help that I just can't seem to warm up to Irish teas, which are often blends of Assam and Kenyan tea, and which I generally find too blunt and heavy for my taste. By association, I have tended to steer clear of both pure Assam and Kenyan teas.  That's a shame, because I'm now starting to realize what I've missed.

Anyway, this Kosabei Estate tea is not what I was expecting.  An examination of the leaf tells you that it was plucked and processed with considerable care.  My sample had a combination of small whole leaf, broken leaf, tiny whole buds, and a few fine stem pieces.  The oxidation was quite light, falling in between a typical black tea and a Mi Lan Dancong Oolong.  The tea brews up a deep orange/amber.  The pleasant aroma is clean, and on the subtle side, with more floral character than I expect of a Kenya Black, but still retaining that characteristic aroma I identify with Kenya.  The taste was similarly restrained and clean, again combining the floral nature with a bright version of the typical Kenya flavor.  A healthy dose of astringency finally makes its appearance going into the aftertaste, which is crisp, subtle and fairly long, with a caramel note.

This is a tea for sippers who like to eke out nuance in their teas.  If you are looking for a dark, powerful Kenyan tea similar to Lifeboat, this tea will probably seem too light and subtle.  If you favor a clean, tight, high-mountain character over forward, lush flavor, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment